Work visas are issued only to foreigners where South African citizens with the relevant skills are not available for appointment. These visas are issued for a set duration which varies on the type of work visa being applied for. General work Visas are valid for the duration of the contract of employment or a period not exceeding 5 years.
To apply, you must submit the following documentation:
1. A duly completed application form signed by yourself, the applicant
2. A passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit
3. Payment of the prescribed fee
4. A vaccination certificate, if required by the Act
5. Proof of financial means to cover envisaged living expenses in the Republic until the applicant receives a salary. In the form of :
- bank statements
- cash available
- travellers’ cheques
6. Medical and radiology reports
7. A police clearance certificate from each country in which you resided for 12 months or longer since the age of 18 years
8. A written undertaking by the employer accepting responsibility for the costs related to the deportation of the applicant and his/ her dependent family members, should it become necessary.
9. An application for a general work visa shall be accompanied by –
- A certificate from the Department of Labour
- Proof of qualifications evaluated by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic
10. A contract of employment signed by both yourself and the employer
11. Full particulars of the employer including proof of registration with the Registrar of Companies
12. An undertaking by the employer to inform the Director- General upon the employee no longer being in the employ of such employer or when employed in a different capacity or role.
13. All required documentation for a spouse and/or children if they intend to accompany you.